Questions and AnswersCategory: HealthDog stole a chocolate cupcake
bestvet Staff asked 2 years ago
My dog, a 24 pound female beagle named Shadow, stole a chocolate cupcake off the
counter. The recipe called for half a cup of cocoa powder, and it made 16 cupcakes
(so she likely ate .25 ounces). Is this dangerous and should I take her to the vet,
or is it best just to monitor her? I greatly appreciate it, thank you!

Please follow and like us:
Blaine replied 1 year ago

Today, I went to the beach front with my children.
I found a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and said “You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear.”
She put the shell to her ear and screamed. There was a hermit crab inside and
it pinched her ear. She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is entirely
off topic but I had to tell someone!

Feel free to visit my site … Charli

DavidQfo replied 8 months ago

Meds information leaflet. Brand names.
tizanidine buy in US
All news about drug. Get here.

http://61med.ru/knowledge/kogda-idti-k-vrachu-pri-beremennosti?page=266#comment-613456 All about medication. https://bass93.ru/products/machete-m134#comment_230495 Everything news about meds. http://audit.tsu.ac.th/page_comment_webboard.php?cat_id=23&id=953 Actual trends of medicines. d5f1d38

PwbOA replied 2 days ago

trazodone 5mg tablets dosage

atrorie replied 8 hours ago

how long does it take for propecia to work

1 Answers
bestvet Staff answered 2 years ago

Chocolate Poisoning
Chocolate is very delicious but it is harmful for certain species like canine and it can be like threatening for dogs it can cause cardiac problems and Nervous system problems. Chocolate toxicity depends upon the source of chocolate and eating habits of the dog.
Chocolate derived from roasted seeds of “theobroma cacao” main toxic substances in chocolate are “Methylxanthines theobromine” and “Caffeine”. Concentration of theobromine is 3-10 times that of caffeine, both of these things cause clinical toxicosis. The amount of methylxanthines varies in different chocolate products.
If a dog having 24 pounds bodyweight eat 0.25 ounces of chocolate then there is no treatment necessary. Patient should be kept under observation for any abnormal behaviour for at least 6-12 hours after ingestion of chocolate.
In 0.25 ounces of chocolate the concentration of theobromine is 2.98mg and Caffeine 0.46mg, Total amount of methylxanthines in 0.25 ounces of chocolate is 3.44mg.
Clinical Signs of chocolate toxicity are increased thirst, vomiting, diarrheea, abdominal distension and restlessness. Signs may increase to hyperactivity, increased urination, stiffness, tremors or twitches and seizures. Increased heart rate and low blood pressure may occur. Hypokalemia may occur in terminal stages of toxicity and death. Death generally occur due to respiratory failure, increased body temperature and abnormal heart beat.The Increased fat content of chocolate can cause pancreatitis in susceptible animals.
Treatment
Stabilization of animal with chocolate toxicity is top priority during treatment. Methocarbamol , diazepam, atropine, propranolol and metoprolol, lidocaine and fluid diuresis is required to treat different clinical signs of chocolate toxicity.
Activated Charcoal 1-4 gram/kg orally is administered after every 12 hours.
DVM Lina
 
In case you found our response helpful, please provide financial support
for our animal rescue fund to help the animals in need and without
permanent home.
https://bestvetonline.com/animal-rescue-fund/

Please follow and like us:

Your Answer